Ultrasound Guided Injections:
What is included in the consultation?
- Physical Assessment
- Diagnostic ultrasound scan
- Ultrasound guided injection
Why should I have an injection under ultrasound guidance?
There is overwhelming evidence that ultrasound guided steroid injections are much more accurate than unguided steroid injections. As needle placement can be monitored under ultrasound guidance it reduces the risk of trauma to structures which improves the injection safety significantly.
Ultrasound guided injections are delivered by highly experienced and qualified musculoskeletal sonographers with extensive expertise in delivering ultrasound guided injections both in the clinical- as well as the Radiological setting. They have extensive clinical expertise as specialist Extended Scope Physiotherapists and have many years of experience in managing complex musculoskeletal conditions.
You will receive an expert clinical assessment followed by a diagnostic ultrasound scan to determine whether injection therapy is the correct treatment for you. This will help to evaluate the source of your pain symptoms and to identify the correct area to inject.
If injection therapy is not thought to be appropriate for you will be given a full explanation of the assessment findings including advice regarding appropriate management. In that case you will only be charged a fee for the ultrasound scan but not for the injection.
Injections can be provided for the following areas:
- Hand/wrist, elbow, shoulder, Hip, knee, ankle, foot.
Common conditions for which injection therapy is used:
- Hand/wrist: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Trigger finger, tenosynovitis of the flexor tendons. De Quervains tenosynovitis, radio-carpal osteoarthritis, 1st carpo-metacarpal joint osteoarthritis (1st CMC joint osteoarthritis), Osteoarthritis of the Meta-carpo-Phalangeal joints (MCP joints), Osteoarthritis of the Proximal Inter-phalangeal joints (PIP joints), Osteoarthritis of the distal interphalangeal joints (DIP joints).
- Elbow: Tennis elbow, Golfers elbow, Olecranon bursitis, Elbow osteoarthritis,
- Shoulder: Sub-acromial-subdeltoid bursitis, Acromio-clavicular osteoarthritis, Sterno-clavicular osteoarthritis, Frozen shoulder, Gleno-humeral joint osteoarthritis,
- Foot/Ankle: Ankle osteoarthritis (Talo-crural-joint osteoarthritis), Subtalar joint osteoarthritis, mid-tarsal joint osteoarthritis, Meta-tarso-phalangeal osteoarthritis, Morton’s Neuroma, Plantar fasciitis, retro-calcaneal bursitis.
- Knee: Osteoarthritis knee, Bakers cyst knee, Pre patellar bursitis, Infra-patellar bursitis.
- Hip: Osteoarthritis hip, Trochanteric bursitis
Please note areas in red are usually sites of referred pain from the spine and therefore are generally NOT sites that are APPROPRIATE for CORTISONE INJECTION THERAPY
Important: Injections are provided only for the upper – and lower extremities (i.e: arms and legs). We do not provide injections for spinal conditions.
Shoulder pain or hip pain felt in the locations highlighted in red are often areas of referred pain from the spine, therefore the source of symptoms is usually the spine itself and an injection in the shoulder or hip would not target the right structure and would be unlikely to be of any benefit.
How to book?
If you are interested in injection therapy please contact our clinic so we can email/send you a patient information leaflet explaining the procedure including possible risks and side effects. It is important that you aware of these before having the injection so that you can make a well-informed decision. You will be sent a form to complete about your medical history to email back to us or to take with you to your appointment. This is to establish whether we would need any further advice from your GP before administering an injection.
Injections are not given to any person of 16 years of age or younger. We cannot unfortunately provide injections for professional football players for reasons of insurance.
The fees for an ultrasound guided steroid injection is £249 this also includes a diagnostic ultrasound scan and an expert clinical examination. The fee for a hyaluronic acid injection is £349.
If after assessment it is decided that injection therapy is not thought to be right for you will only be charged for the diagnostic ultrasound scan (£diagnostic scan fee) but you will not be charged the injection fee.
Important please read:
Please make sure that you have read the relevant patient information leaflet (available from Sonoworld.co.uk) on the relevant type of injection (steroid or Hyaluronic acid) to ensure that injection therapy is appropriate for you. Please fill out the completed form (available from Sonoworld.co.uk) with questions about your medical health and email or take with you to your appointment.
Medicines that can interfere with steroid injections:
Certain medications might interfere with steroids. When you are taking medications for conditions such as diabetes, cancer, or HIV please check with your specialist whether a steroid injection is appropriate. Blood thinning medications such as warfarin may require a blood test and a temporary adjustment/change of your medication to make sure the blood is not too thin which might cause bleeding in the joint. If you are on blood thinning medication such as warfarin you should consult your specialist first to obtain his/ her advice before having an injection.
Please include any information regarding your health and or medication that you are taking to your appointment.
Private Ultrasound Scan in London
Sonoworld provides competitively priced private London ultrasound scans so that you
can achieve early diagnosis without the long NHS waiting lists.
We are able to offer you:
- Same day ultrasound scan appointments.
- Easy to use online scan booking service where you can choose the best time and day suitable to you.
- Same time ultrasound scan report to take with you to your GP.
- Convenient central London location (Regents Park and Great Portland Street tube stations)
- Direct line to our Sonographers to answer any questions and not a call centre.
- You can take control of your health with our competitively priced private ultrasound scan examinations.
Private Pregnancy Ultrasound Scans
We offer a large range of private pregnancy ultrasound in London starting with the early pregnancy scan at 5 weeks gestation and other complimentary scans throughout your pregnancy including gender scan, growth scan, reassurance scans.
We offer a same day private pregnancy scan service to provide you with peace of mind and quick reassurance about your pregnancy and your baby.
We also offer a range of 3D and 4D bonding scans for parents who want to meet their baby early. Our sonographers are fully qualified and comply with all the professional safety guidelines.
How much are private scans?
The price you’ll pay for a private ultrasound scan will depend on the type of scan you want an appointment for. Our prices are competitive starting from as low as £99. There are no hidden extras and the price you see is the price you pay.
Book an Appointment
We offer evening and weekends appointments. You can choose the most suitable time and day by visiting our online booking diary. If for any reason you can not find a suitable ultrasound scan appointment please contact us via e-mail or phone.