Private Breast Ultrasound Scan
Breast lumps are very common and ultrasound scan is regurarly being used to evaluate these lumps. Ultrasound scan of the breast uses sound waves to produce pictures of the internal structures of the breast. It is primarily used to help diagnose breast lumps or other abnormalities your doctor may have found during a physical exam, mammogram or breast MRI. Ultrasound scans are safe, noninvasive and do not use ionizing radiation.
What is the purpose of this breast ultrasound scan?
The breast ultrasound scan includes evaluation of:
- The breast for any lumps
Reasons for having a private breast ultrasound scan:
- palpable breast lump, lumpiness, texture change, nipple discharge
- A change in mammogram or MRI that needs further evaluation
- check-ups of previously diagnosed noncancerous breast lumps
- Breast pain
- To see if breast lumps are cysts or solid
- To check breast implants and surrounding breast tissue
- prophylactic examination
What is included with this breast scan?
- Ultrasound report and if needed, a follow up recommendation.
Preparation for this breast ultrasound sca.
- No preparation for this private ultrasound scan is necessary.
What should I expect during the breast ultrasound scan?
Before the breast ultrasound scan the sonographer will explain the examination procedure. You will be asked to lie on the examination couch and expose your breasts and may be asked to raise your arm above your head. We will put a little gel on your skin and a small ultrasound probe will be used to obtain images of the breast tissue. You might see red and blue colours in the screen but this is nothing to worry about and it what is called colour Doppler ultrasound. Once the imaging is complete, the clear ultrasound gel will be wiped off your skin. The ultrasound gel does not stain or discolor clothing.
During and after the breast ultrasound examination our sonographer will explain the findings and an ultrasound report will be issued to take away with you.
About breast Ultrasound
Ultrasound is safe and painless, and produces pictures of the inside of the body using sound waves. Ultrasound imaging, also called ultrasound scanning, involves the use of a small transducer (probe) and ultrasound gel placed directly on the skin. High-frequency sound waves are transmitted from the probe through the gel into the body. The transducer collects the sounds that bounce back and a computer then uses those sound waves to create an image. Ultrasound examinations do not use radiation. Because ultrasound images are captured in real-time, they can show the structure and movement of the body's internal organs, as well as blood flowing through blood vessels.
Ultrasound imaging of the breast produces a picture of the internal structures of the breast.
During a breast ultrasound examination the sonographer performing the test may use Doppler techniques to evaluate blood flow or lack of flow in any breast mass. In some cases this may provide additional information as to the cause of the mass.
Many studies have shown that ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can help supplement mammography by detecting breast cancers that may not be visible with mammography. MRI is more sensitive than ultrasound in depicting breast cancer, but MRI may not be available to all women. If screening MRI is performed, then screening ultrasound is not needed, though ultrasound may be used to characterize and biopsy abnormalities seen on MRI. When ultrasound is used for screening, abnormalities not visible with mammography may be identified, including some that may require biopsy. Many of the abnormalities found with screening breast ultrasound are not cancer (false positives), but breast US allows for a full examination.
Ultrasound can be offered as a screening tool for women who:
- are at high risk for breast cancer and unable to undergo an MRI examination.
- are pregnant or should not be exposed to x-rays (which is necessary for a mammogram).
- have increased breast density— when the breasts have a lot of glandular and connective tissue and not much fatty tissue .
What are the benefits vs. risks of breast ultrasound scan?
- Most ultrasound scanning is noninvasive (no needles or injections).
- Occasionally, an ultrasound exam may be temporarily uncomfortable, but it should not be painful.
- Ultrasound is widely available, easy-to-use and less expensive than other imaging methods.
- Ultrasound imaging is extremely safe and does not use any ionizing radiation.
- Ultrasound scanning gives a clear picture of soft tissues that do not show up well on x-ray images.
- Ultrasound provides real-time imaging, making it a good tool for guiding minimally invasive procedures such as needle biopsies and fluid aspiration.
- Ultrasound imaging can help detect lesions in women with dense breasts.
- Ultrasound may help detect and classify a breast lesion that cannot be interpreted adequately through mammography alone.
- Using ultrasound, sonographers are able to determine that many areas of clinical concern are due to normal tissue (such as fat lobules) or benign cysts. For most women 30 years of age and older, a mammogram will be used together with ultrasound. For women under age 30, ultrasound alone is often sufficient to determine whether an area of concern needs a biopsy or not.
- For standard diagnostic ultrasound, there are no known harmful effects on humans.
- Interpretation of a breast ultrasound examination may lead to additional procedures such as follow-up ultrasound and/or aspiration or biopsy. Many of the areas thought to be of concern turn out to be non-cancerous.
What are the limitations of Ultrasound Scan Imaging of the Breast?
- Ultrasound is one of the tools used in breast imaging, but it does not replace annual mammography.
- Many cancers are not visible on ultrasound. Many calcifications seen on mammography cannot be seen on ultrasound. Some early breast cancers only show up as calcifications on mammography. MRI findings that are due to cancer are not always seen with ultrasound.
- Biopsy may be recommended to determine if a suspicious abnormality is cancer or not.
- Most suspicious findings on ultrasound scan that require biopsy are not cancers.
- Many facilities do not offer ultrasound screening, and the procedure may not be covered by some insurance plans.
Price of the breast Ultrasound Scan: £159.00 (Both Breasts £189)
Private Breast Ultrasound Scans in London
Sonoworld provides competitively priced private London ultrasound scans so that you can achieve early diagnosis without the long NHS waiting lists.
We are able to offer you:
- Same day ultrasound scan appointments.
- Easy to use online scan booking service where you can choose the best time and day suitable to you.
- Same time ultrasound scan report to take with you to your GP.
- Convenient central London location (Regents Park and Great Portland Street tube stations)
- Direct line to our Sonographers to answer any questions and not a call centre.
- You can take control of your health with our competitively priced private ultrasound scan examinations.
Looking for a Private Breast Ultrasound Scan in London?
You are in the right place if you are looking for a private ultrasound scan in London. At Sonoworld Diagnostics, London we offer an extensive range of private ultrasound scans in a convenient central London location next to Harley Street.
We offer same day and out of hours private ultrasound scan appointments in days and times to suit your busy schedule.
Our consultant sonographers are very experienced in the field of medical ultrasound so you can rest assured that your health is in good hands. We use the latest ultrasound scan diagnostic equipment to increase diagnostic accuracy. Sonoworld Diagnostics has been providing ultrasound scan services to NHS and private sector since 2012 and therefore is well established in the field of medical ultrasound.
At our ultrasound scan clinic in London, we are able to offer you ultrasound scans in a clean and comfortable environment without the wait associated with the ultrasound scans provided by the NHS.
Why choose us for your private breast ultrasound scan?
Sonoworld Diagnostic Services is registered with the CQC and has been trusted by the NHS and private sector since 2012 to provide unparalleled diagnostic ultrasound scan services. Our clients include healthcare professional such as GP’s and consultant radiologists. This is because our clients know that at Sonoworld will get the best ultrasound service with no compromise in diagnostic accuracy or the level of service.
Who will perform my breast private ultrasound scan?
Your ultrasound scan will be performed by one of our knowledgeable consultant sonographers. All our sonographers are qualified to UK and USA ultrasound standards so you can be assured that there is no compromise on the diagnostic accuracy of your ultrasound scan.
How much are the private breast ultrasound scans?
The price you’ll pay for a private ultrasound scan will depend on the type of scan you want an appointment for. Our prices are competitive starting from as low as £99. There are no hidden extras and the price you see is the price you pay.
Book a breast scan Appointment
We offer evening and weekends appointments. You can choose the most suitable time and day by visiting our online booking diary. If for any reason you can not find a suitable ultrasound scan appointment please contact us via e-mail or phone.
We offer the widest Range of ultrasound scans in London.
We offer a full range of private ultrasound scans for women such as:
Upper and lower abdominal scans
Kidneys, ureters & bladder scans
Our range of private ultrasound scans for men include:
Testicular ultrasound scans
Kidneys, ureters & prostate scans
We also offer musculoskeletal scans such as:
Hands and wrists scans
Ankle and Feet
Soft tissue lumps & bumps
We offer vascular ultrasound scans such as:
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
Venous insufficiency/Reflux scans
Private Pregnancy Ultrasound Scans
We offer a large range of private pregnancy ultrasound in London starting with the early pregnancy scan at 5 weeks gestation and other complimentary scans throughout your pregnancy including gender scan, growth scan, reassurance scans.
We offer a same day private pregnancy scan service to provide you with peace of mind and quick reassurance about your pregnancy and your baby.
We also offer a range of 3D and 4D bonding scans for parents who want to meet their baby early. Our sonographers are fully qualified and comply with all the professional safety guidelines.